Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are a startup based in Boston, massachusetts, no nothing

Customer Question

Hi We are a startup based in Boston
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no nothing they just took 20k and no work was submitted
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we want to start a litigation process we lost a season and revenue of at least 1.5m
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Please tell us what happened and your specific question for us about the matter?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We hired a company in India for a fixed project, they took the money didn't deliver and are refusing to refund us. Not only we lost the money we paid them we also delayed the product launch and it cost us a big loss. We want to know what we can do to stop them from doing that with another U.S. based startups
Thank you for your reply.
This has become a major issue with businesses. When hiring companies offshore, in India, China or wherever, the problem comes in that if there is money paid and a breach of contract, you suffer the expense of getting at them to even sue them. You cannot sue them in MA unless your contract with them stated they agree to be sued in MA in case of dispute. Even if your contract says they agree to be sued in MA, if you sue and they refuse to answer and you get a judgment against them, then you have to go to India to try to collect and that means hiring an attorney in India no different than having to now hire an attorney in India to sue the company to get your money back.
Once they have your money, if they will not perform and will not refund your money, the only way to recover is with an attorney and suing in India.
You can report them to the MA Attorney General and to the BBB and FBI, but as they are in India, a report to the BBB would be seen by other companies putting them on notice. You can also wage a social media and internet campaign against them and post TRUTHFUL information about their unfair and deceptive practices. Those are all things you could try to do to prevent them from scamming other US companies.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.