Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My wife had her car repossessed Wednesday morning and called

Customer Question

My wife had her car repossessed Wednesday morning and called the creditor to make arrangements to pay all monies due on Friday (tomorrow). Today she finds out the car is in Baltimore but we live in Delaware where the car was recovered. Is this legal to remove the car outside the state of Delaware?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thnx
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do you know where the vehicle was being sent? Have you spoken with them about this and was it sent back to the finance company?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we didn't know where the vehicle was being sent just that it was in Baltimore for recovery of the vehicle or possessions in the vehicle. And no we have not spoken to GM financial about this. Just this is the location of the vehicle upon paying all monies due as agreed by creditor GM financial.

Thank you. Are they requiring that you claim and pick up the car or will they send it back? I am trying to get a better understanding of the situation

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No just pay the monies due and where the vehicle can be picked up.

If they had a legal right to repo the vehicle, they could transport it and send it to the finance company or to whatever location, handles these sort of things. By that, I mean once a vehicle is repossessed , it is then typically sold at auction, which is likely why it was sent to Baltimore. When a party wants the car back, they are typically required to pay all fees and costs associated with it and if the company will not return the car, it needs to be picked up. Prior to paying, you can try and work with them, to have it sent back or the cost shared but they can refuse, if they have done nothing wrong, up to this point and are allowing you to recover the car.