Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I was sent a box with 400,000 and customs in Italy

Customer Question

I was sent a box with 400,000 and customs in Italy confiscated it. For money laundering n terrorism clearance I have paid several thousands of dollars. After paying the attorney that helped he filed a petition stating he must report his client of possible laundering. Now the box is at FedEx in Italy and they are asking for 10,270 to release it. I really need a telephone conversation to explain allergy
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: PA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Too much to write about
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I am very sorry to tell you this, but you are being scammed. There is no box. The people asking you for money are the same people who lied about sending it to you, and they are scam artists.

I know this for several reasons:

• No one would ever send a box of cash through mail or fed ex, due to the risk of loss. Off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen safer ways to transmit money across country borders.
  • A lawyer would never be required to report his client for possible money laundering. That's not what lawyers do. Lawyers protect their clients, they don't report them for crimes - it's actually illegal, unless someone's life is in immediate danger.
  • If Customs in Italy confiscated a box, it would be either held or returned to the sender. It would not be sent to Fed Ex.
  • Fed Ex has no ability or authority to charge a ransom to release a package. Either they deliver it, for the nominal fee, or they refuse delivery. That's it. The person you're talking to is not with Fed Ex.
  • When Customs confiscates a package, the person who is expecting to receive it can't just send cash to get it back. That's bribery. There are forms and procedures, and you have to go to Customs, where they would give you the item immediately if they decided to release it. If they weren't going to release it, there's no reason to pay.
  • This is a textbook scam. I'm sorry to say, I see it all the time.

Do not send these people another penny. They're stealing your money. You will never get that box. I'm sorry. The best thing you could possibly do for yourself at this point is to report the scam to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, which is run in part by the FBI.

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?