Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In the year 2000 my husband and I bought a 2 week timeshare

Customer Question

In the year 2000 my husband and I bought a 2 week timeshare in Ft. Lauderdale FL. Weston Company. We paid out the mortgage amount of $12,000.00 soon after and used it for several years until the maintenance fees and taxes went to over a $1000 per year and we just let the fees go .Have not heard a word from them in 10 years or more. I am 69 and disabled , my husband is 71 and working part time, but we want to sign this property back to the original owners for a small fee. My daughter and son are concerned that they will have to deal with this problem after we pass away and we do not want that to happen. Can you help me?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Do you need more information?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much will this cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: OK
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 18 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you sign the property back over to the original owners, then there should be no exposure/liability for your children. Even if you were to keep the timeshare, your children would not be financially responsible. Instead, your estates would be liable for any debt owed to the timeshare company.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 18 days ago.

Thus, either route you decide to take with the timeshare would not befall any effects on your children.