How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about divorce, Alaska, no, I'm a US

Customer Question

Hi, yes I have a question about divorce
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alaska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm a US citizen, my ex wife in an Australian citizen and we married in Australia
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Hello; what is your question please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is I am an American Citizen and I married an Australia Citizen in the country of Australia. My question is if I get divorced here where I live in Alaska will that divorce be recognized for me here in America if I wish to get married again?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do not call just response through email is fine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's also important to know that my soon to be ex wife is willing to sign whatever paperwork is required that I mail to her so I can present that paperwork here.
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the US does not need to have presided over the marriage in order for a US divorce to be effective; basically for the court to have jurisdiction, it only requires one party to have residency in the state at issue (Alaska presumably) and for the other party to either be served notice in accordance with the laws of their locale, or to consent to US's jurisdiction by singing a waiver of service or an acceptance of jurisdiction.

The US courts main consideration is that both parties are properly awrae of the proceedings and have an opportunity, if desired, to participate; so long as those due process concerns are addressed the courts will exercise jurisdiction.

Similarly the US does give comity (acknowledgment) to foreign decrees if the above principles apply.

This website will provide forms needed to start the process:

Here is the waiver form:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.