Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I received a notice from the sheriff regarding them having

Customer Question

i received a notice from the sheriff regarding them having papers for me at the civil process office but i don't know what it is
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: illinois, cook county
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that i know of. i lost my job years ago and had some bad debts. that was over 10 years ago. i recently had a medical claim go to collections via a law firm but i paid in full and the deposited my check
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all i can think of
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I understand your confusion about why they want to have you served with papers, but I am not sure what your legal question is that I can help with tonight?

.

Have you contacted the sheriff to see if they will tell you what the papers are for?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i called the number and the woman just said they have papers for me to pick up at the civil process office or they could attempt delivery again

Ok, so what is your legal question?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am trying to understand what type of papers could be held at the civil office and if there is anything i need to look into. i worry did i not pay off a credit card years ago etc. or did i have unpaid parking tickets i don't know about. any of those scenarios are 10yrs or longer ago. most recently i paid a medical bill and paid off a debt to midland credit. do i don't believe i could have an outstanding

If this is a civil matter, then you are being sued over something, or if you are married, your spouse may have filed for divorce. Or if you own property, someone may have filed suit for some type of easement or rights to your property or to extinguish your rights to property...

.

The thing is....there is simply no way to know what is going on if they won't disclose what the papers are and who filed them without seeing them.

.

However, if something has been filed against you, then that is a public matter so you could contact the local courthouse and see if a lawsuit has been filed against you and who filed it. You could have someone go down to the court to get a copy of the filed case on your behalf so you wouldn't personally do so and be considered served by actual notice..

.

So if it were me, I would be contacting the court first thing in the morning and asking the clerk if they showed a current case under your name. If so, send someone down to get a copy of it to see what it is all about before you are actually served with it.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you. is there a statue of limitations on credit card debt or parking tickets

Parking tickets no. Credit card debt 5 years from the date the last payment was made.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
could this be over parking tickets

Potentially, although they typically go criminal after so long and so many and they just issue a criminal summons to go to court..

.

.

thanks