Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My significant other purchased a house for me in 2012.. He

Customer Question

My significant other purchased a house for me in 2012.. He kept the home in his name and wrote it off as an investment property, We had no written renter or mortgage agreement so everything was verbal.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He passed away 2 months ago and his daughter got all of his assets including this townhome.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This is in Minnesota
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: His daughter now wants $600 from me as rent. Do I have any legal recourse?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about your loss and what you are now dealing with. Just to be clear, there was no relationship and you were a couple?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but we did not live together
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His daughter wants $600 a month from me for rent. Do I have any recourse since I have lived here for 4 years.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I had a roommate, we each paid $300 (for a total of $600). He moved out about a year ago so I periodically gave Denny money for rent. He never asked for "rent" money and I paid him what I could. I retired in 2015 so my income has dropped drastically.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am paying the utility bills and the association fee every month and would reimburse Denny for the property tax amount but usually in payments.

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond

As the legal owner of the property, she does have a legal right to ask for rent, if you want to stay. Had your significant other addressed this issue in his will whereby he gave you a life estate, whereby you could stay as long as you wanted or even went so far as give and leave you a legal interest in the home, this would be different. However, with nothing in writing, she can charge you rent and if you do not want to pay, can evict you, if you do not leave the rental.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was afraid you would say that. Thanks much