RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have been told by my attorney that I need to plead guilty

Customer Question

I have been told by my attorney that I need to plead guilty to a felony tomorrow at pre-trial. I don't think it's the right decision. Is the punishment harsher if I use the court's time for a trial?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: ?? That does not help.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: MN. I had an early flight for work and my consistently loud neighbors wouldn't turn things down. I didn't know who lived there and it's a creepy building, so I grabbed a knife that I cut onions with and went over and asked them to turn the f**king music down. They slammed the door and 4 cops came and now I've been charged with a felony.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Me versus the state, yes.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

The punishment, should you go to trial and lose, potentially could be more severe only because as I'm sure you know, a plea represents a reduction in the charge and/or the potential penalties. Once you turn that down, if you are found guilty, the court could give you the maximum punishment under the law. But there's a lot of factors that go into a judge's decision too - from the facts and circumstances of the case, a person's prior record, whether a person showed remorse for their actions, etc.

Sometimes, if a case goes to trial, a prosecutor will make a recommendation for sentencing that is more severe than what was offered in the plea. It's possible that the prosecution's changed recommendation was meant to punish the defendant for demanding a trial, yes. But it's also possible that the evidence at trial went beyond what the prosecutor thought he could prove at the time he offered the bargain.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!