RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What constitutes an illegal traffic stop? Tulare co. CA, No

Customer Question

what constitutes an illegal traffic stop?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tulare co. CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No ticket was issued, but passengers were asked for I.D. and found to have warrants. Vehicle was searched and cleared to leave. Stop was for ffaulty license plate light
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It appears the stop was unjustified. Was it illegal?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Police only need cause to make a valid stop. In other words, they can't pull over someone for no reason, to run their ID and see if they have warrants. But, if the officer notices an infraction -speeding, weaving, a broken taillight, etc. - yes, they are permitted to make a traffic stop. My understanding of California law is that license plate lights are required, so if one was burned out or not working, that is a valid reason to stop them.

A passenger cannot be compelled to produce identification without suspicion that they are involved in some illegal activity or upon arrest. Problem is, most people don't know that. So if a person voluntary gives up their identification when an officer asks, that is legal. Many times, an officer says it more like a demand than a question and expect people to know that they can refuse. Not exactly fair, but not illegal to do that.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 16 days ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!