How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101731
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married 9 months. We only lived together for 5

This answer was rated:

I have been married 9 months. We only lived together for 5 months and i want to know if i can get an annulment?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina but i live in Alabama now
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She isn't the person that she portrayed to be before we got married.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

An annulment is possible in NC for the following reasons: Underage; previously undissolved marriage; impotent; lack of consent due to lack of will or understanding; belief that female is pregnant. (Source: NC Code 50-11.1; 51-1.2, 2, 3.)

An annulment in Alabama is possible for the following reasons: Bigamy; incest; under age of sixteen. (Source: Code of Alabama 13A-13-1: Bigamy; Code of Alabama 30-1-3, et seq.)

Unless any of the following applies, simply not living together is not enough to get an annulment, although you can file for divorce.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for you response. I had read this and wanted to be sure before I proceeded any further.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with three or more stars and then click FINISH to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.

Ely and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you