Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My father purchased property in whole from his ex in 2010.

Customer Question

My father purchased property in whole from his ex in 2010. The lawyer that handled the purchase messed up the deed and left out a portion of the property. He has maintained the upkeep and taxes on the property completely until his passing in August 2015, when my brother and I inherited the property and took it over. I tried to work with his ex to get it sorted out. However she refuses to return my phone calls and today hung up on me when I called her at work. She is telling me that her lawyer has everything and has been in contact with me and my lawyer. This is not the case, I don't have a lawyer as of now and no one has contacted me. What are my options???
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The deeds were filed and I sent her a correction deed to fix what is currently on file with the county. my father purchased the property in whole from her and the county is aware of the issue. They parciled out the property only in September when the school taxes were sent. However, I had already paid them in full.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know what my options are and where to start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If she won't just sign a quitclaim deed to give up any remaining interest, then you will have to hire an attorney to file a "quiet title" lawsuit against her to have a judge issue an order that she has no interest in the property.

.

If you have an attorney send her a letter threatening to sue her, she may just agree to sign a quitclaim deed over to you and brother to correct this.

.

.

thanks