LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in Arizona. My landlord will not replace the heater.

Customer Question

I live in Arizona. My landlord will not replace the heater. I have no heat in the house. He says he will not fix it and will only provide me with space heaters. I have told him I won't pay rent until it's fixed. He just served me with an eviction notice. I have paid my rent on time ever since I have lived there. What are my options??
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I just received the eviction notice today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you were served with a notice to vacate and fail to do so, the landlord will then have to proceed through the court, to evict you. If he does, it would be at that time that you respond and raise as a defense, the issue with the landlord refusing to replace the heater, the rental not being habitable and that the space heaters are outside the scope of what was agreed to and promised in the lease agreement and that the landlord is in breach. Essentially, you want to show the Judge that the landlord is in breach and wrong here and the eviction is illegal and should not be granted and either you can repair and deduct it on your own or the landlord fixes it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!