Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I just had a car repo and i am a cosigner just need to know

Customer Question

i just had a car repo and i am a cosigner just need to know what my options are to get the car back
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: state of Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: my sister who is the primary buyer got a call from the lender saying that the car was in repossession for couple of missed payments because she got in an accident in which she was not at fault, but i never got any written notices about the situation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to know what are my options and what the chances are to reinstate
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The answer here depends on your contract. Often, when a car is repossessed, the owner can recover it just by paying the past due amounts, interest, and any fees associated with the repossession. However, some contracts have an acceleration clause, which means the full amount still owed on the vehicle would have to be paid to recover it. If you don't have the loan paperwork, check with your sister to see if she has a copy. The bank that repossessed the car could probably also tell you, but you wouldn't necessarily want to accept their word without seeing the documents.

You have a right to redeem the vehicle up until it's sold. If the dealer decides to keep the vehicle (which they can do if less than 60% of the loan has been paid), then you have 21 days to redeem the car. They are required to notify the owner of the time and place of the sale before it happens. That notice will probably go to your sister, but legally, it has to be done within 90 days if she's paid more than 60% of the loan.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?