Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I post the money with the court ( which is approx

Customer Question

For Law EducatorIf I post the money with the court ( which is approx $51,000.00) does that remove the contempt charge part of this?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It does not necessarily remove the contempt charge but what it does is show there is a good faith dispute over who owes who money and how much and you are putting your money up to the court for the court to decide if you owe him, how much and how much he owes you that should be deducted.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
why would I not pay him directly to remove the contempt charge?

Thank you for your reply.

Well, you said you have contempt claims against him as well and he owes you money that can offset that amount but if you pay him you would never get him to pay you, so you post the money with the court for the court to decide who owes who and if the contempt charge needed to be removed or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I currently do not have a contempt charge against him. He does owe me about what I owe him. If I pay him directly I would have to file a contempt charge against him when he doesn't pay me. I assume the contempt charge against me would be removed - yes?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can pay him what you owe and the contempt charge would have to be dismissed, then you can file your own contempt against him.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is the con with doing this? Is there a reason not to? He will end up paying me the same amount either way? Yes?

Thank you for your reply.

If you prove your case he will owe you, yes. However, he is seeking just to cause you issues and betting on whether or not you will file a contempt motion against him since you still have not done so....