How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 115452
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in the Pen. and needs medical assistance. He told

Customer Question

My son is in the Pen. and needs medical assistance. He told me that they do not give the medication he needs and now his kidney are acting up. How can he get better medical care?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is in Kern County in California.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not think so, cause they would not help him in any way.l
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the US Constitution, an inmate is entitled to basic medical care for their needs. Failure to provide such care violates the 8th Amendment pertaining to cruel and unusual punishment. If the facility is not providing for his basic needs, first step is that you need to get his attorney to file a motion in court for medical treatment. That is to get his immediate needs cared for. Then his attorney can file a civil rights violation in the US District Court for cruel and unusual punishment and for any harm he has suffered from not receiving basic medical care.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.