How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 35335
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a storage unit and it's only in my name. My ex has a

Customer Question

I have a storage unit and it's only in my name. My ex has a few things in there. Am I obligated to return these things? He is not on the lease for the Storage unit. He has paid for the unit a couple of months in a row but that is it. nothing has his name on it.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


If you are asking if you can keep ex's personal property, then the answer is no, not unless he has either gifted it to you or has abandoned it after you gave him written notice to reclaim it within XX days and he has failed to do so.


If neither or those things have happened, then the personal property is still his and you would have to return it upon demand unless you terminate the bailment with proper written notice before he comes to get it.





Related Legal Questions