Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My son has been held in Williamson County in IL since Aug

Customer Question

My son has been held in Williamson County in IL since Aug 2nd, and his bond is 100,000, they have a special warrant they are holding at Williamson County for neighboring Jackson County IL and bail is set at 2,500,000 he has not been served thus warrant, haven't they already violated his right to a speedy trial since it is now January 2nd? He has the same charges in both counties how can they convict him in one and then send him to the other County and convicted for the same thing
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: ILLINOIS and he was detained August 2nd
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The charges pending or possession with intent and trafficking
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did his attorney file a motion for speedy trial? The right to speedy trial under the Sixth Amendment must be actually invoked by a defendant and asked for in order to be violated.

Also, you said he has the same charge in both counties, do the charges come from the exact same facts and circumstances? Are the charges in the second county based on the same exact facts as the first county, or did he commit another violation for the same thing in the second county?

What has his attorney filed on the case?