Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I have a construction law question for michigan, NO It is a

Customer Question

I have a construction law question for michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO It is a contractual question regarding sworn statments
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for contacting Just Answer What is the question? I will try to help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am preparing a sworn statement for residential new construction and am curious if I am able to mark up materials purchased. Obviously I submit this sworn statement at each draw request with necessary waivers. However for example if my lumber bill for the project is $34,000 and I pay $34,000 to thelumber supplier and bill the homeowner 36,000 on the sworn statement thus profiting 2,000 from my trade discount can I display this as Lumber $36,000 instead of the $34,000 I paid to the supplier thus profiting 2,000. Or would this have to be displayed separately as my profit?

What does your contract call for in the way of billing the job?

Rarely have I ever seen a contractor bill for labor and materials separately in residential construction. Usually, the bill will be for an agreed percentage of the cost as completion occurs. If you are to bill materials at dead cost, then you cannot mark up materials and they must be backed up with invoices.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.