Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

How do civil judgements last in Florida, yes in 06 and 08,

Customer Question

How long do civil judgements last in Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes in 06 and 08
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

A Florida civil judgment is valid and enforceable for twenty years from the date it is issued.

If the judgment results in a lien on real property (e.g. a house), then the lien lasts for ten years.

If the judgement results in a lien on personal property (e.g. a car), the the lien lasts for five years. The lien can be extended for another five years, if renewed within six months of the first five-year period.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

Florida Statute 55.081 states that judgments are good for 20 years. The creditor can collect for this period of time under Florida law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok so they can only take personal property for up to ten years? what is you by something after the ten years is up can they attach it? also it the 20 yr renewable?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

They can garnish bank accounts so be careful on that its personal property, garnish wages for 10 years.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

And yes they can extend it here

An unsatisfied judgment in the state of Florida will last for 20 years from the stamped date. If the judgment remains unsatisfied nearing the 20th year, it is advisable that you bring an “action on the judgment” in the same court in order to obtain a new judgment. This procedure will extend the judgment for another 20 years. At that point, you may be entitled to the new interest rate assigned for that year. Although your judgment is valid for twenty years, as stated above, it is only a lien on real property for ten years and then you must re-record for the lien to attach to the property for the one ten year renewable period that is allowed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, let me try clarify so I can understand
I have several judgement s that are from 06 and 08.
If I chose to buy property now can they attach it?
Also they can only garnish wages for ten years? can that be renewed? But they can garnish bank accounts for the full 20?I guess I am trying to move on with my life and afraid I will lose stuff.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Florida has unlimited homestead the liens may attach but they cannot foreclose.You could consider Chapter 7 here to discharge the debts here, nay judgments get wiped out at discharge by the court.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the follow up and thanks for rating 5 stars.