legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I rec a ticket for a non-registered dog and two others

Customer Question

I rec a ticket for a non-registered dog and two others because of the dog - due in court tomorrow and i dn't have very much money
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Dallas, Tx
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, I still have the tickets
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will I go to jail if i can't pay them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this; no, a person will not be imprisoned if they cannot afford to pay a registration fee - here is the relevant statute:

822.035. Criminal Penalty

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally:

(1) fails or refuses to register a dog required to be registered under this subchapter;

(2) fails or refuses to allow a dog to be killed when ordered by the proper authorities to do so; or

(3) violates this subchapter.

(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $100, confinement in the county jail for not more than 30 days, or both.

Note how the statute states "intentional" - so if the person does not have the financial ability to pay, they cannot be imprisoned as that is a violation of one's constitutional rights and one cannot be imprisoned for debt.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I will be out of the office for the next several days on a personal leave; if you have any questions on the above please post here today and I will respond; otherwise I will respond as soon as I return.

It has been a pleasure to assist. If the information has been useful kindly rate positive so the site may credit my account for my time spent assisting you. Thank you.