Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Does Indiana have Pro Bono Attorneys? Yes, I have a battery

Customer Question

Does Indiana have Pro Bono Attorneys?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a battery charge against me in Warsaw Indiana. Well my wife and I both have charges against each other. She hit me and went to the police department stating I hit her. But I didn't have time to react back.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: This happened in Indiana and It happened on may 28th 2016
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, it does. However if this is a criminal matter, a pro bono attorney is normally appointed by the Court. One tells the Judge that one cannot afford counsel, and the Court will then want to hear about your financial situation. If the Court feels that your financial situation does not allow to hire counsel and you cannot work to hire counsel, the Judge will appoint you an attorney.

However, this is not necessarily true if the charge is a misdemeanor. If the charge is a misdemeanor, the Court may refuse to appoint counsel.

If so, then there are other options. I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/indiana.html

…and another list:

http://www.lawhelp.org

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

http://www.hg.org/law-schools-indiana.asp

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).