LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My son and I bought a used car from a car lot. We have had

Customer Question

My son and I bought a used car from a car lot. We have had it less than 30 days. Its been a money pit. I want to return the car, tell them to keep it and my down payment of 2K and walk away. Is that a possibility?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: CO
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. My son has been trying to fix it, but he fixes 1 thing and another thing breaks. I do tech support chat for Verizon, so I know you what you are thinking. Lol
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We just want the car gone, the deal to be done. I will take the car back and deal with a voluntary repo if necessary. Just want this done.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I want this done tomorrow, Monday 1/2/17, as it is the only day of the week I can do it.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Would you call Econo Auto Sales on my behalf,(###) ###-#### speak to Weston and let them know of my intent and that I have contacted your service?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
My son has a friend who is a BMW mechanic, he has done the work on the car, and he says the car needs a lot of work and will be $$$$$$$$$$.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 21 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Was any warranty given on the vehicle when you bought it or was it sold as is? Also, was the vehicle inspected prior to you buying it?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
As is/ yes

Thank you for the reply. When a vehicle is bought "as is", the seller does not make any representations about its condition, performance or anything of that nature. The buyer, has a duty to inspect the vehicle and if that was done and they decided to proceed and buy it, assumes liability. You shared that the vehicle was inspected and if it was, should have revealed and issues with the car. Now, if the seller knew of issues and failed to correct them or disclose them and hide them from you, you may have a legal cause of action to sue them to make the repairs. You could try and get out of this and get them to accept your settlement but they do not have to and may try and argue that they did not know and the vehicle is yours. I certainly think it is odd that within 30 days all these problems happened but if you sue, would need to show that these were present at the time of sale, know and hidden by them.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 18 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!