Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My wife is Valerie I am in GA and want to know where I

Customer Question

Hello my name is Mitchell ***** and my wife is Valerie I am in GA and want to know where I stand. I came home one day a year ago and my wife her son and girlfriend and there doge were gone Thank God. That was good day even though they took some furniture and wife. I figured once my wife calmed down things would work out. She was mad at me cause I did not like the idea of her 35 year old son getting a girlfriend from the internet and moving her in without talking to me about it. And he was not yet divorced and was only a month since his wife kicked him out. So now my wife is a resident of Teenneess. She is now saying she wants a divorce. Can I get her for abandonment? Or am I liable? For? She is not on the deed nor the loan. We are in the middle of a bankruptcy paying 350.00 / month. I pay all the bills. She has been on a mental disability for more than 20 years and get about 700.00. She thought by being separated it would get her more assistance in Tennessee but I guess not so now she thinks getting a divorce will help her financial? Is she corrrect? And can I change the locks on my house leagally? Thanks for your help. JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Georgia JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: No I think she has a appointment with an attorny JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I live pay check to pay check and I am 59

Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

You would be better off if you file in Georgia first.The court would divide the assets and debts if you cannot resolve it.This includes any property real or personal acquired during the marriage as well as the debts.It would be cheaper and easier for you to file for no fault divorce in Georgia here and serve her with it.

Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

More about Georgia property division

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/marital-property-division/georgia-divorce-dividing-prope#

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I hope you will consider filing first so you can divorce locally rather than Tennessee.

If you can psoitive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map

Georgia

Atlanta Bar Association LRS
Atlanta, GA

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb, Douglas, Rockdale, Paulding, Henry, Gwinnett, Clayton, Cherokee, Fayette, and Forsyth

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Attorneys' Confidential Referral Service, Inc.
Cleveland, GA

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Toll free:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Statewide

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Cobb County Bar Association LRS
Marietta, GA

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Cobb, Douglas, Bartow, Cherokee, Paulding

DeKalb Bar Association LRS
Decatur, GA

Phone:(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett and Cobb

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map

Georgia

Atlanta Bar Association LRS
Atlanta, GA

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Cleveland, GA

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Cobb County Bar Association LRS
Marietta, GA

DeKalb Bar Association LRS
Decatur, GA

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can you explain what that would do for me and what does no fault mean? Why can I not say she abanon me? Again I have never been divorced and not at all familiar on how it works? Like I said I would like for her to try but she does not want to get together.
Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

he following grounds shall be sufficient to authorize the granting of a total divorce:

No Fault:

(1) The marriage is irretrievably broken.

Fault:

(1) Intermarriage by persons within the prohibited degrees of consanguinity or affinity;

(2) Mental incapacity;

(3) Impotency;

(4) Duress, or fraud in obtaining the marriage;

(5) Pregnancy of the wife by a man other than the husband, at the time of the marriage, unknown to the husband;

(6) Adultery;

(7) Willful and continued desertion for one year;

(8) Imprisonment for a term of two years or longer;

(9) Habitual intoxication;

(10) Cruel treatment;

(11) Incurable mental illness.

(12) Habitual drug addiction.

(Georgia Code - Sections: 19-5-3)

You can file no fault irretrievably broken or willful desertion for a year item 7..Either are possible here to seek a divorce if you file in Georgia.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It has not been quite a year I think January will be a year? do not really know for sure? But if its been less than what? I just sigened up for a free trial for 7 days for 40 a month. Does that include talking on the phone with you?
Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

So you may want to for no fault here.It really doesn't affect anything as far as property and would allow you to complete it quicker and cheaper.

I can do unlimted chat online here.I sent you the offer.Accept and ask as much as you want thanks.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
how much does that cost and I guess I have to use a lawyer to do it
Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

You can negotiate fees with the lawyer, it will be cheaper if you file first in Georgia and she has to come back to deal with it rather than you having to find a Tennessee lawyer and deal with this in her home.A divorce here is likely to run you $2-3K with filing fees.

Expert:  Ray replied 20 days ago.

If you can psoitive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Thanks again.