legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Can you tell me if a U.S. Court has any jurisdiction over an

Customer Question

Can you tell me if a U.S. Court has any jurisdiction over an individual who has not paid spousal support and now lives outside the U.S.?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The original decree was Va.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My husbands ex spouse has filed for a show cause hearing set in January
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As long as he does not return to the U.S they can not do anything. Is that correct?
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A US court does not have any jurisdiction in other countries; however, many countries will "domesticate" a US court order, and use the laws of that country to cooperate with the US court order. This varies by country and is not addressed by the Hague Convention (which does address child support; and the US has recipricol agreements with 26 countries re: child support collections)

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.