FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
89910983

What's happens if the the petitioner doesn't show for

Customer Question

What's happens if the the petitioner doesn't show for divorce court
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

If the petitioner doesn't show up, the case could even be dismissed entirely. It's up to the judge. He/she may give one more chance to appear. Then the petitioner may need to refile.

So it's generally up to the judge whether to dismiss it immediately or to give one more chance and then dismiss. Are you the petitioner? Do you have a lawyer or if you're not the petitioner, does the petitioner have a lawyer?

If you're the respondent, you should make a motion to dismiss if the case is still on. Eventually, if the case is not dismissed yet, it will be dismissed if the petitioner fails to go forward with the case.

Does this answer your question or do you need additional information?

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

Best of luck to you! Happy New Year!