Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My son is mentally ill and has been in a mentalk hospital

Customer Question

My son is mentally ill and has been in a mentalk hospital twice in the last 2 yrs. He commit ted 3 misteno
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oregon. 3 mistemenors today and I need to have him civilly commited
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He was arrested today on 2 assault charges and 1 criminal mischief. He now has a probation officer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Have you shared his mental health history with the prosecutor and with his probation officer? What is your question with regard to this situation?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want to have him go back to the state hospital and have him civilly comitted what is the process? That was my question
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm assuming you believe he's a danger to himself or others. You can call the police, who would have the authority to commit him for psychiatric evaluation under those circumstances. If the evaluation confirms that he is indeed a danger, they will keep him and treat him.

If he's incarcerated, then you'd have to inform his lawyer, the prosecutor and probation of his mental history. Any of them they can get the judge to order the commitment if they believe it's necessary.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.