Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

When my grandmother passed away she left me all of her

When my grandmother passed away she left me all of her personal belongings some of which were located in a condo that was insured. I had a girl that I did not know very well but that other people I did know spoke highly of go stay in the condo for a few months until I realized the trustee was charging me for all of the expenses including the property taxes and association fees. When I asked her to leave she did taking the key with her out of town. I had my parents pick it up and to make a long story short when I went back the next time the back door was wide open and thousands of dollars in brand new clothes with tags were missing from the walk in closet. I filed a claim with her homeowners insurance that was going to pay and then I had issues with filling out the loss inventory as I had receipts for the clothing but had no idea if she had for instance a pink sweater size small with long sleeves to go with her pink high heal pumps and pink pants from Nordstroms etc.. because they were not my clothes and had never even been worn so I had no idea. Once I asked them to wave the inventory due to the circumstances they changed adjusters a couple times and then after I had invested hours into coping off the receipts and scanning them into my computer for them they advised me they had reconsidered after looking into things and that became the owner after she passed away and I did not have a policy with them therefore they did not need to pay me for the items stollen from the condo. At the time I was dealing with so many other issues with the trust that I just let them get away with it. Where they correct in their denial?

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you very much for requesting for my assistance once more. I was offline when your requested for my assistance.

Could you clarify?

Were the missing items in your grandmother's condo?

If so, was her insurance policy current at the time of her death?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they were and yes it was. They said it was no longer her property when she died and left it to me and I was not on her policy so they did not need to pay me

Thank you for the information.

Well, they are being overly technical. The point is, the items belong to your grandmother's estate until her estate has been probated. So, her insurance should still cover the missing items.

No, they are not correct in denying the claim.

Your grandmother's Executor/Personal Representative can sue them for not paying a properly submitted claim.

Best wishes and Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her estate did not go through probate. I was the only benificary of her estate does that change the answer.

It does not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does it matter that there was no probate? She had a living trust and I was the only benificary.

No, it does not matter. My response remains the same.