N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

Happy New Year. I am a small business (commercial

Customer Question

Hello! happy New Year.
JA: Thanks. Same to you!
Customer: I am a small business (commercial construction) that meets the requirements for the 8A small business set aside program. however, I cannot seem to find the revenue amount that needs to be shown for the two year period prior to getting entry in the program. when does this "program year start/end? and how much is the amount?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nj
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: business was started in August 2016. what i really want to know is if i need to show the $XXXX amount of revenue by the end of this year. thnx
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The size standards based on revenue are posted at

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/files/Size_Standards_Table.pdf

Your business should be described under Subsector 236.

If your average annual receipts are under $36.5 million, you qualify according to the above link. How SBA calculates annual receipts is covered at

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/13/121.104

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot phone you. Some other Expert can phone if you want. Do you need more information?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i want to qualify for the 8a program (SBE set aside). however, this is my first year in operation and after reviewing my numbers i might be just shy of 100k. does this mean i will have to provide two more years of revenue of 100k to qualitfy for the program?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but the answer is not entirely clear. According to

https://www.sba.gov/contracting/getting-started-contractor/qualifying-small-business

which states:

The SBA, for most industries, defines a "small business" either in terms of the average number of employees over the past 12 months, or average annual receipts over the past three years." It says OR so I don't see why you could not qualify even as a relatively new business.

You probably qualify as a small business based on number of employees so you may want to contact SBA at***@******.*** and ask if you can qualify based on that even though you have not been in business for three years yet.

I would email them for you, but the JustAnswer web site rules prevent me from acting as your agent or taking actions on your behalf.

I hope this information is helpful.