Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I bought a used piece of heavy equipment ($20,000) from a

Customer Question

I bought a used piece of heavy equipment ($20,000) from a guy who said it was serviced and in good running condition. Ran it for about 30 minutes at his yard and the next day when it was delivered I ran it for 30 minutes and it got hot and locked up. There was no oil in the hydronic gear box.
Cost is $10,000+. I stopped payment on check until a solution is found.
Please advise what can be done in this situation. Split cost of repair between buyer and seller?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How will I receive the answer?

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in used item sale situations, and particularly in Texas, the law is not in favor of the buyer. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

And I can already tell you, without asking any additional questions, that the majority of what we discuss will be regarded as "bad news". I can opt out and open it up to other experts but any of them who are going to be truthful with you, and I think all of the experts here are, will have to give you the same bad news.