Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If my ex wife has filed a writ of execution to have my

Customer Question

If my ex wife has filed a writ of execution to have my vehicle seized can it still be sold in auction. Some more details, the car has my name on the title, the car is owned and paid for by my small business, it has been on the balance sheet since I purchased it in 2013.
My business insures the vehicle. there is not much equity in the vehicle so it may not satisfy the judgement in full. How can I find out if the writ has been filed and is active?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Until the writ has been executed you're free to do whatever you want with the car, including selling it at auction.

A request for the writ of execution would be filed in the court where the judgment was issued or in a local court so you could contact the clerk of courts office and they could tell you whether one has been filed and/or granted. Some clerks won't actually look stuff up for you if you're on the phone so you can also go to the clerk's office and have them pull the file and you can look in it to see what has been filed and the clerk can also check their records to see if one was filed with them but hasn't made it into their paper file yet (ex. it is on teh judge's desk waiting for a signature).

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My questions have been answered
Thank you

You're very welcome!