Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am born in the Netherlands. According to the civil rights

Customer Question

I am born in the Netherlands. According to the civil rights act of 1964, I cannot be discriminated against "based on national origin". I am confronted on a daily basis. what are my rights?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i am discouraged by doing so. state agencies are very blatent in persisting to address me in spanish.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All I need to know what I can do to protect myself.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", "how can I protect myself", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I call a company, I am addressed in Spanish without any choice. When I go into a store, I am confronted with Spanish signs. When I pick-up a package I have to read very small text in English because 2/3rd of the space is taken up with Spanish. When I receive voter information, I am confronted with Spanish instructions. When I go to a government agency website, I am confronted with Spanish options, but NEVER Dutch. When I ask for a Dutch interpreter in a store, they get mad and threaten me with the police. According to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, signed by President Johnson, I cannot be discriminated against because of national origin. I AM DISCRIMINATED WHEN I AM CONFRONTED BY ONE LANGUAGE THAT ONLY 3.45% OF ILLEGAL PERSONS FROM VCENRRFAL AND SOUTH AMERICA, RECEIVING 43% MORE BENEFITS THAN I RECEIVE. I am an immigrant, came here in 1964 and learned
English. I am always asked where I came from, which upsets me. Approximately 47% of American citizens (including immigrants) speak
Spanish, BUT THEY ALSO SPEAK ENGLISH.I believe to be right about what I have to go through. I am supposed to
be treated EQUALLY as the Constitution requires. I have done research
on the subject why wars started - because of ethnic oppression and
language. Belgium is ready to split into two nations because the East speaks French and the West speaks Dutch. They were without a government for almost two years. Canada and Quebec do not get along
'because of French and English - dividing the nation. If you like, I can email the information I prepared for an attorney who won a case because what I presented. The sufferig and insults I have endured for many years needs to stop.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any illegal conduct in the facts you cited so I'm going to opt out and open this up to other experts.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Language discrimination is a part of national origin discrimination and it would require the proof you are being treated differently because of the language you speak. If you speak fluent English in addition to Dutch, then the burden is on you to prove the harm you are suffering by these Spanish language signs and that you are being treated differently because you speak Dutch and English. This is where the difficulty comes in for you proving discrimination, since they do speak English to you, just not Dutch, and you can understand English. If you could prove you do not understand English and spoke only Dutch and the government entities refuse to accommodate your language issue, then you have a strong case for discrimination based on national origin. The mere fact signs are in Spanish and English (a language you understand and speak in addition to Dutch) is not showing harm or treating you differently because you speak only Dutch. So, you would have to show the harm or damage of them speaking to you in English and refusing to provide you Dutch interpretations or an interpreter and if you can do so, you can succeed in your case. The courts have held that "Mere knowledge of [a foreign] language cannot reasonably be regarded as harmful." See: Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U. S. 390, 400 (1923). This means as long as you also can communicate in English and English is made available to you, the discrimination case becomes tough to win because the court does not see it as "harmful" to you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.