Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Can you buy your dad a handgun for his birthday if you are

Customer Question

Can you buy your dad a handgun for his birthday if you are on probation for marijuana in Texas?
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You would need to have your dad sign the registration here.It ha to be registered in his name if it is his handgun.If he does that then it is legal under federal law.You would want to involve him in the purchase unless you want to do a gift card and then let him pick it out here and register it in his name.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Here if you bought it in your name its 5 years after conviction in Texas

Sec. 481.121. OFFENSE: POSSESSION OF MARIHUANA. (a) Except as authorized by this chapter, a person commits an offense if the person knowingly or intentionally possesses a usable quantity of marihuana.

(b) An offense under Subsection (a) is:

(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the amount of marihuana possessed is two ounces or less;
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the amount of marihuana possessed is four ounces or less but more than two ounces;

(3) a state jail felony if the amount of marihuana possessed is five pounds or less but more than four ounces;

(4) a felony of the third degree if the amount of marihuana possessed is 50 pounds or less but more than 5 pounds;

(5) a felony of the second degree if the amount of marihuana possessed is 2,000 pounds or less but more than 50 pounds; and

(6) punishable by imprisonment in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life or for a term of not more than 99 years or less than 5 years, and a fine not to exceed $50,000, if the amount of marihuana possessed is more than 2,000 pounds.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 2.02, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Better if he goes with you and purchases it in his name if you are the one on probation here in Texas or the gift card route where you want to buy it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can psoitive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.