Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I had a 60 day listing contract with a realtor. It expired

Customer Question

I had a 60 day listing contract with a realtor. It expired 40 days ago. During the 60 contract I accepted an offer that another agent from a different agency brought in that fell through for financing reasons. Now my "X" agent calls me and says their financing is now approved. Am I under any obligation to use my X agent or can I do a for sale by owner with their agent and cut out my X agent commission?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wisconsin. Oh My agent never gave me a list of prospects that visited my house while under contract.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Like what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Now my "X" agent calls me and says their financing is now approved. Am I under any obligation to use my X agent or can I do a for sale by owner with their agent and cut out my X agent commission?

.

Is there any type of "protection period" in the listing contract that basically says that if you sell to someone the realtor introduced you to during the listing period that you owe them a commission. Normally it would be anywhere from 60 days to 180 days?

.

.

thanks