Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am receiving copyright infringement notices from Ghetty

Customer Question

I am receiving copyright infringement notices from Ghetty for use of pictures from the internet that did not have watermark or copyright notice. There pricing for use of the images in the fee they are requesting is extremely high. I used 2 images and at this point it's very difficult to trace which "free images" site I downloaded them from. Do I have to pay? This seems like a scam given the pricing and the fact the the images were downloaded over 2 years ago....
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: No. They were simply downloaded from picture sites on the internet.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I receive extensive letters from Ghetty with threatening stories.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Getty is pretty well known for pursuing people who use their pictures although I have never seen them sue anyone who has only used a couple of them.

Under copyright law it doesn't really matter where you got the pictures, if they are copyrighted images then you are in violation of the law and could still have to pay damages although if you took the images down immediately upon being notified and could prove where you got the images from then you may be able to avoid the really high statutory damages.

You can do a Google search on the images and that may show where you obtained them. However, if you do try and show that yo got them from a "free" site you may want to get a local lawyer to actually contact Getty for you since there is a better chance the lawyer can get them to pursue someone else.