Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I have a renter in my condo where I also live who signed a

Customer Question

I have a renter in my condo where I also live who signed a one year contract and after 6 months gave me 30 day notice that he would be leaving. However, it does also say in the contract that "TENANT agrees that if for any reason the tenant decides to discontinue renting from***** New Haven CT, that a 30-day written notice must be submitted to landlord". Am I obligated to return his security deposit? Many thanks!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The 30 day notice does not mean that your tenant is not in default due to terminating the lease early. You are entitled to retain the earnest money for either any damages caused and/or unpaid rent. But, you do have a legal obligation to use reasonable efforts to re-lease the property and as soon as you are able to re-lease the property, then the defaulting tenant is off the hook for any further rent. And, you are entitled to recover the costs of re-leasing, such as leasing commissions. You are entitled to retain any or all of the deposit necessary to cover the foregoing.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!