Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have a judgement against me but they have filed the same

Customer Question

I have a judgement against me but they have filed the same judgement against my wife. How do I prove this is only one judgement?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida, Martin County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The judgement has been filed and a final judgement has been issued but the judgement was for 25,000 and they filed the same judgement against my wife and I need to show that the judgement total is 25,000 not 50,000
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes-the answer
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

For what purpose?

Also, was your wife a party to any lawsuit or did they just take the judgment against you and apply it to her without any court action?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They simply applied it to her. I am taking out a small loan and they need to know that the judgement total is 25,000 and not 50,000
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I recall she was a co-signer on that 25,000 note.

First, your wife may want to hire a lawyer and file to have the judgment removed under a "lack of notice and due process argument".

Second, the way you prove that is by showing them copies of the judgment. If they were done properly the wording will demonstrates that it was the same judgment. If it wasn't done properly then you have to file to get it corrected. You can also have the clerk of court give you an affidavit stating that there was no lawsuit against your wife, if they are willing to do that. Some clerks are great and some don't cooperate at all.