LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have been being overpaid by the firm where I work since I

Customer Question

I have been being overpaid by the firm where I work since I started without my knowledge of it and they are now saying I have to repay the last 18 months of overpayment. Am I liable to repay this when it was their error and I had no knowledge of it.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not on my behalf but they are saying I have to repay $3908 by the end of this year for the overpayment for the last 18 months.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been with them for almost 9 years and they have on file that I put I was an ADN nurse and they pushed the wrong button when they hired me and put down I have my BSN which I do not. It was their error and they admitted it.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

Yes, you are liable to repay an accidental overpayment by your employer. Who made the error is not legally relevant. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best this holiday season and in the coming New Year!

Doug