Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Tina....I just came to SCW to take care of my sister-in-law

Customer Question

Hi Tina....I just came to SCW to take care of my sister-in-law who is 90 and has the beginning stages of dementia. I found out that after her sister ( my other sister-in-law ) passed away a few years back that she wanted help with her medical and financial decisions so she names 2 of her friends as POAs. One with the medical and the other financial because she had no family here. When she called me ( I live in Mich ) 2 weeks ago to come out and help her I said I would come and stay and take care of her for the duration. How ever long. Im retired. I want to find out if I can contest the POAs because I want to take full responsibility for her. Im 63 and we have been family for 35 yrs.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Im in AZ with her now and the POAs arent offering any info. I dont know these people.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: in what respect ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so. Im lost and need guidence to take care of her legally
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, you can contest the PoA, but if you cannot get the current PoA to agree to grant you the PoA voluntarily, it will require you to obtain a local attorney and go to court to file a petition for guardianship/conservatorship to take over her care and terminate the PoA. The fact the PoA are not doing anything for her is part of the reason for termination. It requires a local attorney because the court will want a local attorney involved to make sure your sister in law's rights are protected and this is not being done for any improper purposes.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.