Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

After signing all paperwork for a used car loan, I

Customer Question

After signing all paperwork for a used car loan, I discovered that the selling price of the vehicle is $2-3000 higher than the value. Also, additions to the loan adding costs to the loan, were not explained at the time of signing, such as gap insurance, theft deterrent, charges for e-filing and $175.00 documentation fee. Can I rescind this contract?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: West Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure? Papers have been sent to AmeriCredit.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Papers were signed on 11/19/16.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Allow me to explain why.

1) The lender does not have to sell you a vehicle based on its actual value. You can sell me a $50 bike for $2 or $200. It all depends on supply and demand and negotiation. Many times vehicles and other items are sold for more than their value, or, less. There are rules about price gouging, but only in times of emergency, so this does not apply.

2) You signed the contract. Which means under law, you stated that you read and understood the terms within the contract. They did not have to explain it to you. The onus is on the consumer to ask any clarification before signing. If they added something into the contract that was not negotiated, it becomes part of the contract because you signed the document.

3) There is no right to rescind a contract in WV for a vehicle, and federal law applies mostly to door to door sales.

The seller was certainty unethical here. However, I am afraid that the contract technically cannot be rescinded unless the seller agrees.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.