RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I just had someone steal medicine from my house and they are

Customer Question

I just had someone steal medicine from my house and they are driving around without a license because of a DUI. What should I do
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The medicine is controlled
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Good morning,

What you are describing are both criminal acts (theft of property and driving without a license/on a suspended licensed with knowledge). I would recommend that you report what happened to the police, and let them take a report. There's a possibility that this individual could abuse this medication and then get behind the wheel, endangering themselves and others.

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, as that is the only way I am paid for my time, even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need some clarification about that

Sure, how can I clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well if I call the police he is my friend I don't want to get in trouble but I mean this is my medicine that keeps me sane for normal mom and he went to go you know I don't know what do you want to go do with it but I'm very worried mom for my safety my mother is in attorney my father is an attorney, and I am just worried individual right now or should I leave my health

Well, let me ask you this, what outcome would you like to see? I understand he is a friend, but he also stole from you and is driving on a suspended license.

Do you just want your medication back? Nothing says you have to report your friend to the police -would he consider returning what he took from you if you demanded the return and threatened to go to the police?

Here's what I see as a potential risk for you - he takes the medicine he stole from you, gets behind the wheels, and then injures someone, and you find yourself potentially caught up in a civil lawsuit as a defendant because you allowed him access to the medicine and didn't do anything after he got a hold of it. Not saying that would definitely happen, but certainly a risk.

You mention your parents are both attorneys - I'm sure they are both more than qualified to give you good advice as to how you should approach this.