LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am a first time author trying to publish my book. I have

Customer Question

I am a first time author trying to publish my book. I have been comparing and contrasting publishers, and I decided on one of them, Westbow Publishing.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Chicago, Il, but my question is that I sent them the entire payment of $3,300 to start the process. After doing so I realized that I was better off doing the book through CreateSpace once I viewed their book contract. They told me I had to send the money to view the contract, then when I asked for my money back after viewing it, they said I could have viewed it before I sent the money. The bot***** *****ne is now they have my down payment and I want my money back. I sent in the request officially on November 17th. The process is supposed to take 2-4 weeks. I have read some posts with people who have been shafted by this company. I have been told that I will get my full refund back, but when I called today they could not give me a date when my money would be refunded and it has already been almost two weeks. I just want to know if I should take legal action because I need the money to publish my book elsewhere. What is your advice on this matter?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Save your money for now. There is little to be gained by jumping right into a lawsuit for breach of contract. If you never signed the contract with them, and only paid in order to be able to look at the contract, they do owe you a full refund. 30 to 60 days is standard in the business world to process a refund of this nature and only of you have not received your refund by the end of the 60-day period should you consider suing the publisher for the refund owing to you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
According to them it should only be 30 days. If that is their policy, can they still legally take up to 60 days by law?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I understand your desire to get the money back as soon as possible, and if their policy is 30 days and you sue on day 32, and you get your refund on day 34, you will have wasted the time and expense of filing the lawsuit---which is why I gave you the information that I did.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug