Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Our son has movrd out our home feb.2016. He is renting a

Customer Question

Our son has movrd out our home feb.2016. He is renting a duplex next door. The apt did not come with refridgerator pr gas stove. He did not want to purchase a used appliance and asked if his mom and I would arrange for him to rent the above for him and he would pay us weekly for appliances. We arranged for rent a center to rent him a stove and fridge on a weekly basis. When it came time to pay rent a center. He did not pay them or us. This has gone on for 10 months. His mom and i can no longer afford to pay this pmt each. We asked him to give us sime money to help defray the cost. He refuses stating. It is in your name you have to pay it. "Not me" we informed rent a ctr. To please pick up appliances. They attempted to 4 times. He will not answer door for them or return theirs our calls. What recourse do we have. We cannot afford to pay this for him. He is 20 y/0 and works a full time job.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

if your son won't pay you as promised, file suit against him. You can file a case in small claims court in Texas for anything up to $10,000. This link will guide you through the process: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/forms/How-to-Sue-in-Small-Claims-Court.pdf . Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment. In my experience, simply filing the suit is typically all you need to do to resolve this outside of court because most of the time, once served with a summons he is being sued, your son will want resolve this to your satisfaction out of court to avoid the judgment and attachment of his accounts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!