INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I have been working a lot of hours in overtime ( I don't get

Customer Question

I have been working a lot of hours in overtime ( I don't get paid overtime and I am expected to work this extra for free) although they gave me back 80 hours back in May. I am now at over 50 hours banked and they are refusing to give me back this time. I have looked at my contract and it does not mention anything about working over my 40 hours per week. It is not even the case that I want to be paid for it or want time and a half or anything like that but just my time back. Please advise
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alberta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have sent my banked time to my manager on Wednesday last week and an email detailing my concerns about getting time back, we had our usual weekly meeting on Friday and she said she hasn't had time to review the emails.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work for a large global company, I have been here a year
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.

Unpaid time must be paid. overtime must be paid at overtime rate. This is required under the fair labor standards act and state law. Employer could be held liable not only for unpaid time but additional damages.

You can complain to HR further, but if they do not pay you can have a lawyer send a letter demanding payment.

You can also file a complaint with the labor department. If needed, can also sue in federal court.

company usually will pay before a lawsuit is filed, since there is no defense to this violation.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 days ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars, thank you and happy holidays.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 days ago.

Thanks in advance.