Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have an (IRAP), individual retirement account plan,

Customer Question

I have an (IRAP), individual retirement account plan, through a union I used to work for. I would like to close the account. Due to the fact that there is not much money in it and they take management fee out every year. My former union has informed that I can not close the account until I leave the industry and just the union. Is the Union correct and how is this legal? Thanks Dennis
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to read the terms of that IRAP, because if it is through the union, then the plan description controls and the union can prevent you from taking the money until you can prove you are no longer in the industry, it is called a union protectionism clause and they are legal and binding on union members.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.