Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My dog was killed at a grooming business by another dogis

Customer Question

My dog was killed at a grooming business by another dogis that a small claims court issue. my dog was a maltese and cost $2500 at time of purchase
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?
Customer: jax. fla.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: did police report,notified animal control
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure, other than the circustances
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am very sorry to hear that this happened while you had entrusted the dog to the groomers..

.

What is your legal question that I can help with?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is this a small claims court issue?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Yes, the limit in small claims is $5,000 and you don't need an attorney. The clerks will have the summons and complaint forms you need to file and can help with getting the groomer served with the suit.

.

Although pets are more family than not, the law considers them personal property, like a lamp or a TV, so the court can only award you the financial value of the animal, not any sentimental value.

.

.

thanks