Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Afriend asked us to help move out her son while his wife is

Customer Question

Afriend asked us to help move out her son while his wife is at work. I believe morally that he's going about this all wrong. Wants to hook up with internet friend. But he wants some ticket items to be hauled out with out her knowledge or consent. Can we get in trouble for helping?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) How old is the son?

2) Who owns the property where the son is staying - the friend, his wife, the son, all three, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Him and his wife. She hasn't a clue and he wants all the big stuff, like appliances etc.
Expert:  Ely replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. I am going to assume the son is an adult.

This is not quite right. Without the son's permission, his things cannot simply be "moved." He is what is known as a tenant at sufferance, meaning he is a tenant who lives on the property at will of the owner.

The owner(s) have to formerly EVICT him to get rid of him. By an owner simply taking his items out, this is unlawful and constitutes an unlawful eviction and trespass to chattel (when one is interfering with the ownership of other's items). This opens someone in your situation up to LIABILITY.

Ergo, I would avoid doing this favor, as it has the potential into turning into a big mess.

(I notice that you state "without her knowledge and consent," so did you mean the wife not knowing? If I have misunderstood the situation, let me know.)

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 12 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!