Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was granted $37,000. from NY Rising after my home was

Customer Question

I was granted $37,000. from NY Rising after my home was destroyed in 2012 from Superstorm Sandy. They now want repayment in full. I don't have it to pay back. I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm trying to figure this out. I have sent them all the information about my case but they say I have to pay it all back.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I only sent them a statement of why I felt I shouldn't feel I should have to pay it back. I also asked for extension. My time is up and I am now asked to send my tax info for the last two years and all my financials to see if I qualify for a payment plan. It's due. I am afraid to forward all this and sign anything. I don't feel I should have to pay this back. I gave them all my information before they gave me the money?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I'm not sure what to do?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 8 days ago.

Which agency provided the money? What is the basis for the request for reimbursement? Was money used for the purpose intended?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I used the money to help restore my home. I was offered a SBA loan but I didn't close on it because my insurance payment came through. SBA told me to apply to NY Rising for additional help if I needed it.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What is the total that I will be charged for this? How long will I be able to speak to the legal expert?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok so is there any legal advice for me?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How little no dies it take to get an answer?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I feel uneasy about this. Please don't charge my card. I would rather go see a lawyer in person. I'm not sure how this works.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello? Is anyone there? I need confirmation that I will not be charged since I did not get any legal advice.
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 days ago.

I am not set up for phone calls at the moment; would you like to continue on this page? There will not be a phone call charge since the request was declined.