Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A socalled friend in Haifa owes me roughly $ 200,000 I

Customer Question

A socalled friend in Haifa owes me roughly $ 200,000 I loaned him unsecured about 17 years ago to help him
overcome some financial problems. He promised to pay me back plus interest but never did. I am looking for a local lawyer to help me recover the money.
Please contact me.
Thank you
Thomas Boehm
Chicago USA
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Hi Thomas,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The statute of limitations to pay back a debt in Illinois is unfortunately only 10 years. If you loaned someone money 17 years ago and they have not made any efforts to pay it back, it is too late to file a lawsuit. Most lawyers would not accept this type of case, because they cannot ethically represent a debt as collectible when the statute of limitations has expired. The only exceptions would be if your friend had made some payments during the past 10 years, or if he's moved out of state (because the limitations period is paused while he lives elsewhere). In order to get a judgment, you'd need to get some sort of written promise to resume payments on the debt to give to a judge.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The debtor lives in Israel. I live in illinois. He has made several small payments some years back
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Then you can file in Illinois, but it'll be tough to collect a judgment unless he still has assets in your state. An Illinois judgment isn't valid in Israel. You may want to talk to an Israel lawyer to get information about filing a lawsuit there and how to collect a judgment if he doesn't have bank accounts or other property located in Illinois.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

If he DOES have assets/bank accounts in Illinois, a good place to find a lawyer who can help you with the lawsuit is www.martindale.com.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Lucy
I thought you were an israeli lawyer in israel. I googled for a lawyer in israel and was connected with you. Whats going on ?
Tom
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

No. This is a question/answer website based in the United States. I'm not sure how you wound up here, but customer service can close out your question.

Expert:  Ely replied 6 days ago.
Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Ani lo orech din ba-aretz, aval ani yodea kzat shel ha din m'Yisroel ve ani orech din b'USA.
Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Do you mind if we "reset" and begin anew? I'd like to ask you a few questions, please. Some of this information you may have already provided, but I want to be double-sure. Thanks in advance for your patience.
1) What year specifically did you loan the money?
2) Was the contract IN WRITING? In an email? Fax? Or simply verbal?
3) Throughout this time, has the borrower ever acknowledged the contract? How - in writing, in an email, via a fax, verbal? If so, when was the last time that he acknowledged this?
4) If the contract was in writing, was it in English or Hebrew?
5) Where were you living when the loan was made? Where was he living?
6) When was the last time that he made a payment?
7) Where do you live now? Where does he live now?
Thanks in advance for your reply.