Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

I overdose on heroin and was dropped of at unverisity of

Customer Question

I overdose on heroin and was dropped of at unverisity of cincinnati hospital when being brought back from overdose I had in my pocket bags of drugs inteaded for sale the hospital found it in my pocket and called cincinnati police and they were there in twenty mins with three policemen. I was arrested and my husband question bout drugs before he was told if I was alright am I protected under the hipaa act
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 months ago.
HIPAA involves the sharing of your medical history with other medical professionals
HIPAA protects disclosure of protected health information. Possession of heroin does not fall under protected health information but rather evidence in a criminal situation http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volume-38/issue-8/administration-and-leadership/pro-bono-reporting-drugs-illegal-activit.html
Have you been charged?
Are you still with me?

If the heroin was not prescribed by a medical professional this would not be a HIPAA violation. That being said I would need more information to tell you if the narcotics went through the proper procedures to be used as evidence against you. Where in Ohio are you located?