How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6846
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal in the state of Ohio to leave serving papers

Customer Question

Is it legal in the state of Ohio to leave serving papers with a minor when adult isn't there
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They just left papers with my daughter while I was at the store that I am to appear Fri in court since I haven't been able to pay my divorce lawyer
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We went to court last year and I didn't have a job and many bills o er due and rent over due. I offered to pay 20 a month and he didn't take it but said he had to talk to my lawyer and never got back to me.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I almost filed bankruptcy, but I have recently found a job and have been paying off my remt, and other bills and moved into my friends home with my kids to pay off my bills
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 days ago.

Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure rule 4.1 (C) contains the following provision:The person serving process shall effect service by leaving a copy of the process and the complaint, or other document to be served,at the usual place of residence of the person to be served with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein.

Obviously they can't leave it with an infant, but usually a teenager is considered a person of suitable age and discretion.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Related Legal Questions